[DCRM-L] Nonroman signatures

Tue Apr 5 09:06:04 MDT 2005

A PDF file isn't really useful for our purposes, I'm afraid.  And not
necessary, either, since the non-Roman typefaces are available to us for
word processing and can be included right in the text.

What we do need to be fairly certain of is that the register represents
a typical printer's register. What about giving us the actual signing
register of several books in Russian and Church Slavic--since those seem
to be your strength, Joe--in either romanized or original form? In the
way I've given below; listing each letter separately, indicating upper
and lower case as appropriate, leaving off the number of leaves per
gathering since it's only the register we want.

Except for Hebrew, we have the expertise on the editorial team to read
the alphabets, but in most our cases it's hard for us to put our hands
on these books to record the registers. That is where we need help:
identifying the registers used in books signed in non-roman alphabets.

What seems best to me right now is for volunteers to document non-roman
printing registers by recording the MARC21 code for the library, the
shelfmark, the year and place of publication, an identification of the
alphabet used, and the register for that book. For as many books as
possible. The DCRM editors will collate the evidence, with much
gratitude.

Deborah J. Leslie
Folger Library
djleslie at folger.edu