[DCRM-L] Nonroman signatures

Thu Apr 14 14:31:05 MDT 2005

Joe,

Thanks so much for your willingness to work on this. If you'd like to
send in your results as you get them instead of waiting until the end,
feel free.

________________________
Deborah J. Leslie
Folger Library
djleslie at folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-admin at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-admin at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Joseph Ross
Sent: Thursday, 14 April, 2005 16:15
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Nonroman signatures

Deborah,

I just wanted to let you know that I am still working on this, but I
will
need more time to give you what you want.  This is what I have found so
far:

I think I will be able to give you several examples of signatures in
early
Russian books.  I have had to request microfilm of about eight
seventeenth
to eighteenth century Russian and Ukrainian books to do this.  The Notre

Dame library does not have an extensive collection of these books, and
the
ones we have use Church Slavic alphabetic numeration, which appears to
be
by far the most common form of signature in these books.   I thought I
could  infer  the actual register from the bibliographic descriptions in

printed catalogs I have been using, but as I researched this I
discovered
that would not work.  The number of letters in the alphabet of the
bibliographic descriptions varies from 35 to 45, and it requires a lot
of
guesswork to try to figure out which letters are being omitted in any
register.  In one case I found a book that used a 41-letter alphabet and

the subsequent series in the same book used a 40-letter alphabet.  If I
am
able to get most of my requests for the microfilms on interlibrary loan,
think I can give examples of a variety of signature patterns for
Cyrillic
signatures, but I will need at least a couple of weeks to get these and
record the information.

For Greek signatures, I have found a Froben 1560 imprint that uses the
Greek alphabet.  It offers nothing surprising or unexpected  -- just
three
sequences of lower case alphabet, then a single upper case alphabet.

I have been unable to find alphabetic signatures using the Hebrew
alphabet.  I have used L. Fuks and R. G. Fuks-Mansfeld, Hebrew
Typography
in the Northern Netherlands 1585-1815: Historical Evaluation and
Descriptive Bibliography (Leiden, 1984), and have found that the
signatures
in Hebrew are numerical.  Where the signatures are alphabetical, the
latin
alphabet is used.  I went back to Encyclopedia Judaica and reread the
article  on the history of Hebrew printing, which includes several
paragraphs about pagination and signatures.  Soncino was the first
printer
to include signatures in the early 16th century.  Apparently these are
numerical signatures, not alphabetic.  "Rarely" according to the article

are the signatures in alphabetic form: only two examples are cited:
Sefer
Kol Bo (Rimini 1525 and Rome 1547  (?)  -- I'm doing the second from
memory).  I took that at first to mean that the Hebrew alphabet was
being
used for the signatures of these imprints, but I found the bibliographic

description of the Soncino 1525/26 in Adams (Catalogue of  Books printed
on
the continent of Europe 1501-1600 in Cambridge Libraries) K-89, and the
signature is in the Latin alphabet with some Tironian signs.   If anyone

knows of a signature using Hebrew alphabet as letters rather than
numbers,  perhaps he/she could provide this.  I can give several
examples
of books with Hebrew numerical signatures.

I  hope that the delay in getting this file to you will not cause
difficulties or slow up the editing process.   I'll let you know when I
have some idea of when I will be able to get it to you.

Joe Ross
Rare Books Cataloger
University of Notre Dame