[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) 2C3

Mon Aug 1 18:56:54 MDT 2005

Dear Colleagues,

I am forwarding (with permission) an exchange between Robert Maxwell and
me on DCRM(B) 2C3, for statements of responsibility relating to the
edition. Quoting the second part of the rule:

If the phrase does not name a person or corporate body, transcribe it as
part of the edition statement proper or as part of the first statement
of responsibility relating to the edition, as appropriate. Do not
introduce the semicolon (as in 1E14) to separate such phrases from
preceding statements of responsibility.

As you can see from Bob's comments, he believes (and I am persuaded)
that identifying a group such as the "wits of France" is appropriate for
consideration as a statement of responsibility for an edition. But there
is an odd prohibition against introducing a semi-colon in edition
statements of responsibility, carried over from DCRB and possibly from
BDRB. It does not comply with AACR2, which, giving the following as an
example, clearly permits the use of a semi-colon.

The well-beloved : a sketch of a temperament / Thomas Hardy. - New
Wessex ed. / introduction by J. Hillis Miller ; notes by Edward
Mendelson

Are we missing something? Is there any particular rare book reason for
this semi-colon prohibition? An interesting but no longer relevant
history? (Speak now or forever hold your peace!)
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
 <mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> djleslie at folger.edu