[DCRM-L] Reconsidering digraphs

Juliet McLaren juliet.McLaren at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 22 16:56:42 MST 2005

At 09:10 AM 2/22/2005, Michael North wrote:
>I agree with Robert Maxwell that these are form rather than
>content.  Especially as we look at incunables, there are dozens of
>ligatures we might want to include, turning the whole thing into a big
>mess.  I would like all of these digraphs to be spelled out as separate
>letters; and the more universally and uniformly this is done, the easier
>searching will be across our catalogs.  For instance, how will most
>American users search for an "æ" in an OPAC- especially when they're at
>home using a catalog remotely? What if the ligature is used on one t.p. by
>one printer, then not used somewhere else for another edition of the same
>work?  There are uniform titles, but I would hate to throw that into the
>mix every time there is a title with a potential ligature in it.
         We long ago agreed, as I recall, that rules should not be dictated
by what any particular system was or was not able to do.  Some systems will
treat a digraph search and a separate letter search with equal
efficiency.  But collecting a very large search result is not very useful
if one cannot identify what one has retrieved.  The aim for searching is
surely to identify particular works, and the more conventional alterations
one makes to the title page, the more difficult identification of a
particular work or edition becomes.

         I agree with Manon Theroux's comment that any rules which provide
less adequate transcription than AACR2  violate our effort to provide as
much transcription as possible for rare materials.

         Juliet McLarlen