[DCRM-L] Reconsidering digraphs

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Wed Feb 23 09:05:04 MST 2005

I have to concur with Juliet and Sandy. The working principle should be
"conventionalize only when you have to." This is different from AACR,
which conventionalizes in order to produce conventionalized records: its
general tendency is to minimize the presentation of peculiarities and
particularities. BDRB/DCRB/DCRM exists because those things are deemed
to be relevant to our understanding of the materials and we wish to
maximize their presentation--within the context of shared cataloging,
yes, but with a tendency to get as close as possible to the actual
limits of relatively sophisticated systems.

This is a very broad distinction, granted; but it does reflect my
understanding of our basic "mission" in the DC of RM's, and I think it
works as a touchstone. My colleagues in "regular" cataloguing want to
know how things are the same; I want to know how they're different. They
want things to look normal; I celebrate weirdness (or at least I don't
want to hide it). Etc.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU