[DCRM-L] DCRB rev. topic: Principles & objectives statement

Jain Fletcher jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Mon Jan 10 17:17:13 MST 2005

Hi, everyone,
This is a belated response to a question that was discussed at ALA Annual
'04, about the "objectives & principles" statement.  The issue was: should
it be distinctly monographic-oriented (as it now is) or to be broadened to
cover all materials?  It seems to me (in my reading of the Minutes) that
the issue was not necessarily resolved with that discussion, and I would
like to weigh in--especially since I was one of the early advocates of
having this statement in the first place.

My feeling is that the principles statement should use broad enough
language to make it all-inclusive. With respect to the inherent issues,
these principles apply to the cataloging goals for all forms of rare
publications, in my estimation.  There is nothing particularly
book-oriented in the principles (which is what the term “monograph”
conveys, whether intentionally or unintentionally).  In fact, there is
nothing particularly monographic about the statement either--I believe it
applies to continuing resources, as well.  My stance is that these
principles really *are* shared by all the formats, so there should be no
need to set them apart.  In that belief, I scanned through the statement
very carefully, weighing the phrases and the consequences of broadening; I
can see no reason why it cannot be done--and done fairly easily.  The
primary edit needed is to change every instance of the word “monograph(s)”
to the word  “material(s)” with no loss of meaning or difference in the
outcome for monographs themselves.  I “tested” my idea for the changed
wording against the “fit” with both monographs and music materials, while
also considering serials and maps (with much less comprehension of all the
issues related to some of the other formats, especially serials).  Of
course, the Rare Serials Team should be the final arbiter about this aspect
of my proposition, “testing” serials against this slight change, to see if
they also agree that it holds true.

In considering the aspect of sharing this document among the formats: we
have discussed the fact that this whole process of ours is kind of parallel
to AACR’s, where there have been overall editors, with each Chapter having
input from appropriate constituents.  In that scenario, I believe we should
be keeping in mind the parallels of our prospective publication with AACR.
With the addition of the other formats in this revision, it is now as if we
have Chapters 2, (3--possibly), 4, 5 and 12 of AACR2.  In that scenario,
even if we publish each part of DCRM as stand-alone manuals, past
discussion has said that we should consider all of it to be part of the
same “umbrella” publication.  As much as possible, then, we should be
working in tandem, with the same principles and as similar guidance about
most of the surrounding issues as possible. Therefore, *some* of the
surrounding text could be common to all formats, and could be included
verbatim in each of the manuals.  (The electronic version of DCRM [in
Cataloger’s DeskTop, I assume?] would have only one statement with all the
manuals linking to it.).  If others agree that this is the scenario, I
sincerely hope that the Editorial Team will not mind that some of its
*excellent* endeavors and productions would have further beneficial effect
than just for DCRM(B).

I approached Deborah about this issue a few days ago, to see if she thought
it was worth sending this to the DCRM-L for comment (I guess one of the
things I was worried about was that the decision to use the word
“monograph” in the DCRM(B) statement might already have been declared a
“done deal”).  She told me that I should indeed send it to the DCRB-List
and also suggested that it would be worthwhile if I edited the “Principles”
document with the changes I was suggesting; that way it would be easier for
people to consider. So I have done that.   As I have said, for this topic,
the main difference is that the word “material(s)” has substituted every
instance of “monograph(s)”.  In addition, I deleted every reference to the
rare books manual by taking out “Books” or “(B)”.  The edited document is
below.

		OBJECTIVES AND PRINCIPLES

The instructions contained in Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials are
formulated according to the objectives and principles set forth below.
These objectives and principles seek to articulate the purpose and nature
of specialized cataloging rules for rare materials. They are informed by
long-accepted concepts of traditional bibliographic scholarship as well as
by more recent theoretical work that has proven fundamental to the
construction and revision of cataloging codes, namely the International
Federation of Library Associations and Institutions’ Functional
Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR) and Elaine Svenonius’s The
Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization. They assume an equal
familiarity with FRBR terms used to categorize entities that are the
products of intellectual or artistic endeavor (work, expression,
manifestation, and item) and bibliographic terms used to differentiate
among textual variants (e.g., edition, issue, impression, and state). It is
hoped that these objectives and principles will provide catalogers, and
administrators of cataloging operations, with a better understanding of the
underlying rationale for DCRM instructions, especially when these deviate
from the instructions contained in the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules
(AACR2).

Objectives of DCRM

The primary objectives that apply to the cataloging of rare materials are
no different than the primary objectives of general cataloging. FRBR
identifies those objectives as meeting user requirements to find, identify,
select, and obtain materials. However, users of rare materials will often
bring specialized needs to these tasks that cannot be met by general
cataloging rules. In addition, rare materials may not conform to the
assumptions of standard production practices that lie behind general
cataloging rules. The following DCRM objectives are intended to account for
these important differences.

1) Users shall be able to distinguish clearly among different
manifestations of an expression or work.
	The ability to distinguish among different manifestations of an expression
or work is critical to the user tasks of identifying and selecting
bibliographic resources. General cataloging practice assumes that reliance
on abbreviated and normalized transcription methods is sufficient to
distinguish among manifestations. However, users of rare material tend to
require fuller and more faithful transcriptions, especially in the
publication, distribution, etc., area, in order to distinguish among
manifestations. Additionally, the provision of greater detail in the
physical description area and the careful description of various anomalies
in the note area may be critical to the task of identifying separate
manifestations. These practices will also contribute to the ability of
users to distinguish among exemplars at the item level, allowing the
identification and comparison of variant printings, states, and copies as
needed.

2) Users shall be able to perform most identification and selection tasks
independently of direct access to the materials.
	Users of rare materials frequently perform identification and selection
tasks under circumstances that require the bibliographic description to
stand as a detailed surrogate for the item (e.g., consultation from a
distance, limited access due to the fragile condition of item, inability to
physically browse collections housed in restricted areas). Accuracy of
bibliographic representation increases subsequent efficiency for both users
and collection managers. The same accuracy contributes to the long-term
preservation of the materials themselves, e.g., by reducing unnecessary
circulation of materials that do not specifically meet the user’s
requirements.

3) Users shall be able to investigate physical processes and
post-production history and context exemplified in materials described.
	Users of rare materials routinely investigate a variety of artifactual and
post-production intellectual aspects of materials. For example, they will
attempt to locate materials that are related by printing methods,
illustrative processes, binding styles and structures, provenance, form and
genre, etc. The ability of users to identify the materials that fit these
criteria depends upon full and accurate descriptions and the provision of
corresponding access points.

4) Users shall be able to access materials whose production or presentation
characteristics deviate from modern conventions.
	General cataloging codes routinely distinguish among manifestations
through reliance on explicit bibliographic evidence presented in
conventional form (e.g., a formal edition statement on the title page or
its verso). In rare materials, such explicit evidence will often be lacking
or insufficient to distinguish among different manifestations. That which
is bibliographically significant may thus be ignored by descriptions
constructed according to general cataloging codes.

Principles for Construction of DCRM

To meet the objectives listed above, DCRM relies upon the following six
principles. These principles were influenced by the general principles of
bibliographic description offered by Svenonius: the principle of user
convenience (with the sub-principle of common usage), the principle of
representation (with the sub-principle of accuracy), the principle of
sufficiency and necessity (with the sub-principle of significance), the
principle of standardization, and the principle of integration.

1) Rules shall provide guidance for descriptions that allow users to
distinguish clearly among different manifestations of an expression or work.
This relates to user objective 1 stated above. It derives particularly from
the general principle of user convenience and has implications for all
areas of the bibliographic description. The principle enables
distinguishing among items as well as manifestations.

2) Rules shall provide for accurate representations of the entity as it
describes itself, notably through instructions regarding transcription,
transposition, and omission.
	This relates to user objectives 2 and 4 stated above. It derives
particularly from the general principles of representation (with its
related sub-principle of accuracy) and of standardization. Precise
representation is of particular relevance in those areas of the description
that require transcription (the title and statement of responsibility area,
the edition area, the publication, distribution, etc., area, and the series
area), but should not be ignored in the physical description and note
areas. The general principles of representation and standardization stand
in greater tension with each other when cataloging rare materials.
Faithfulness to both principles may require descriptive and annotative
treatment necessarily exceeding the norms (and at times the vocabulary)
established as sufficient for the description of current materials.

3) Rules shall provide guidance for the inclusion of manifestation-specific
and item-specific information that permits users to investigate physical
processes and post-production history and context exemplified in the item
described.
	This relates to user objective 3 stated above. It derives particularly
from the general principles of sufficiency and necessity and the related
sub-principle of significance. Application of the principle requires that
rules for rare materials cataloging provide additional guidance on access
points, particularly in cases where such information is not integral to the
manifestation, expression, or work described. Rules for item-specific
information appearing in the note area may prescribe standard forms for
presentation of information (addressing general principles of user
convenience and common usage). Application of such rules presumes both a
user’s need for such information and a cataloger’s ability to properly
describe such aspects.

4) Rules shall provide for the inclusion of all elements of bibliographical
significance.
	This principle is related to all of the user objectives stated above.
General cataloging rules routinely strive for both brevity and clarity,
principles affiliated with the general principle of sufficiency. In
describing rare materials however, too great an emphasis on brevity may
become the occasion for insufficiency and lack of clarity. In cataloging
rare materials, brevity of description may be measured best against the
functional requirements of the particular bibliographic description rather
than against the average physical length of other bibliographic
descriptions in the catalog. The tension between rules for rare materials
that promote accurate representation of an item and yet do not exceed the
requirements of sufficiency is great. Reference to the principle of user
convenience may offer correct resolution of such tensions.

5) Rules shall conform to the structure and language of the latest revision
of AACR2 to the extent possible; ISBD(A) shall serve as a secondary
reference point.
	This principle relates to general principles of standardization and user
convenience (with the latter’s sub-principle of common usage). DCRM assumes
that users of cataloging descriptions constructed in accordance to its
provisions also operate in contexts where AACR2 is a norm for general
cataloging. In addition, the cataloging community within which DCRM has
been developed has a strong association with AACR2 as interpreted and
applied by the Library of Congress. DCRM uses existing AACR2 vocabulary in
a manner consistent with AACR2; use of any additional or specialized
vocabulary necessary for description and access of rare materials will
occur in a clear and consistent manner in DCRM rules, appendices, and
glossaries. DCRM does not introduce rules that are not required by
differences expected between rare and current materials. Numbering of areas
within DCRM conforms to the structure of ISBD as implemented in AACR2. When
an existing AACR2 rule satisfies the requirements of cataloging rare
materials, DCRM text is modeled on AACR2 text (revising examples as useful
for illustration). In cases where the language of AACR2 is not precise
enough to cover necessary distinctions or may introduce confusion when
dealing with rare materials, DCRM uses carefully-considered alternate
wording. Wording of relevant ISBD(A) standards will also be considered when
deviating from AACR2. However, ISBD(A) is a standard rather than a
cataloging code; AACR2, as a cataloging code, will inevitably provide
closer models for rule formulation.

6) Rules shall be compatible with DCRB except in cases where changes are
necessary to align more closely to current revisions of AACR2 or to conform
to the above principles.
	This principle also relates to general principles of both standardization
and user convenience (with the latter’s sub-principle of common usage).
Changes to prior DCRB cataloging practices should be made only after
careful consideration of the value or necessity of such changes.

   I have another issue with a particular wording choice in this statement
(the construction "general cataloging", set in opposition with "cataloging
of rare materials").  I am in the midst of writing up that issue now and
hope to send another edit of this document to DCRM-L by tomorrow, but
thought I'd start with this.			Thanks, Jain

Jain Fletcher
Head, Collections & Technical Services Division
Department of Special Collections
Young Research Library - UCLA
Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA   90095-1575