[DCRM-L] Bibliographic Standards Committee memberships

Wed Jan 19 11:13:07 MST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

There continues to be a lively interest in Bibliographic Standards
Committee (BSC) memberships, both regular and intern, for which I am
grateful. Since there are several methods of volunteering for RBMS
committee membership, and since appointments for terms beginning after
the annual meeting 2005 will be made during the next several months, you
may find the following facts, advice, and requests timely.

1.	All BSC members must be current members of ACRL and RBMS.

2.	Members (regular and intern) agree to attend all committee
meetings at both ALA Midwinter and Annual Conferences.

3.	Even so, the majority of committee work takes places
electronically between conferences. Members are expected to contribute
in this way as well.

4.	If you have indicated your interest to me in the past and still
wish to be considered for membership, please let me know. There is no
need to repeat letters outlining your background, experience, &c. if you
already have.

5.	If you have volunteered using the ACRL volunteer form, I would
appreciate also receiving an expression of interest from you. This
should include your level of experience in rare books, manuscripts, and
special collections cataloging, as well as your current position. If you
have little or no experience, do not be deterred from applying, since
that is the purpose of internships. I would also like to know if you
have any special interest in thesaurus construction and maintenance.

6.	And here is the advice: Participation in BSC discussion and work
is highly valued, and thus the strongest candidates for committee
membership are those who demonstrate their value in that way. We are
especially desirous for response and comment on DCRM(B), DCRM(M), and
DCRM(S)  as they develop. If you are not yet a member of DCRM-L (the
moderated discussion list set up for specifically for DCRM discussion),
please let me know and I will arrange for you to be added. (The normal
list serve mechanisms for self-subscription do not operate for this
list).

To all: thanks for the online and in-person participation on DCRM(B) to
date. The next few months will see, we hope, the settling and polishing
of the text, and for that the editors welcome your help.
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
djleslie at folger.edu