[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) 7B9. Nonroman signatures

Joseph Ross Joseph.T.Ross.40 at nd.edu
Tue Jul 12 13:38:01 MDT 2005

Deborah and others,

I was not able to attend the Bibliographic Standards Committee discussion
of the epsilon draft of DCRM(B) so I do not know what discussion took place
concerning  "7B9. Nonroman signatures", but I would like to send my
comments and hope that they do not duplicate comments already made or
issues already settled.  I hope that others who work with early Slavic
language material will also comment on this.

I like the fact that the rules are calling for the vernacular transcription
of the letters and/or ALA/LC transliteration for the signatures.  This is a
great improvement over the earlier drafts, which specified using the names
of letters for Hebrew and Greek and using numbers to indicate the total
number of signed gatherings in all other non-Roman alphabets.

For Cyrillic alphabet signatures, I feel very strongly that we need to
instruct catalogers to give not only the initial and final letters of the
alphabet but also to indicate the number of letters in the alphabet.  This
is unnecessary for Roman or Latin alphabet signatures because there is a
standard twenty-three letter alphabet, and one can easily infer how many
signed gatherings are indicated by the signature statement.  Where the
printer varies from the standard twenty-three letter alphabet, the standard
practice is to indicate where it diverges, e.g., A-I J-U V-Z, and thus one
is able to infer the number of signed gatherings even in a non-standard
alphabet.

If one simply transliterates the letters of the Cyrillic alphabet from the
sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, one has no idea how many
signed gatherings are being indicated.  A forty-two or forty-five letter
Cyrillic alphabet is common in the seventeenth century, but I have seen
many bibliographic references to forty-one and forty-three letter signature
alphabets.  The signature statement thus loses a great deal of its
bibliographic value if one only indicates the initial and final letters of
a Cyrillic alphabet.

What is needed is a statement of the number of letters in the alphabet or
"register".  Where multiple sequences of the alphabet are given, it is
sufficient to indicate how many letters are found in an  alphabetic series,
not the total number of signed gatherings.  If there is only a partial
alphabet, an indication of the number of letters in the partial series
should be given.

This is the common practice for bibliographic descriptions of early
Cyrillic imprints at least in those bibliographies that
indicate  signatures that I have seen.  I have also seen it
on  several  OCLC records, e.g.,  #40873562 and #60683108.

I would suggest, therefore, that instructions be given to indicate the
number of letters in an alphabetic series or in a partial series in the
case of Cyrillic alphabet signatures.

I also would like further clarification in the editorial note, which now
reads:  "Not all Cyrillic alphabets have the same number of characters."
In its place, I would like a statement like that which follows so that it
is clear to the cataloger the degree of variability in the Cyrillic
alphabet in the first several centuries of printing.

"In Slavic language areas that used the Cyrillic alphabet, no standard
alphabet was used for printing signatures  as the twenty-three letter Roman
alphabet was used for signatures in western Europe.  The Cyrillic alphabet
itself is still undergoing considerable change at the time when printing is
introduced into these areas.   The number of letters varies considerably in
the sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries from forty-five to thirty-five
letters, and the exact repertoire of letters and their forms also vary from
one printer to another.   Some Greek letters were commonly found in the
alphabet because they were needed for the Church Slavic numerals, which
were based upon Greek numerals and therefore borrowed letters from the
Greek alphabet when there were no equivalent letters in the
Cyrillic  alphabet.   Some other letters were seldom used because they
represented nasal vowels, which were lost as the languages developed.  In
the eighteenth-century, Peter the Great began a revision of the alphabet to
eliminate letters no longer used, and in other Slavic areas that used
Cyrillic alphabets, reforms of the alphabet were undertaken  in the
eighteenth and nineteenth centuries to simplify the alphabets and eliminate
letters that were not needed for particular languages."

If this is too wordy, I would welcome any attempts to make it more concise,
but I hope we can keep the general focus of the statement in the rule.

Thank you for taking these comments into consideration.  I hope that other
catalogers who have worked with early Cyrillic imprints will add their own
comments.

Joe Ross
Rare Books Cataloger
University of Notre Dame