[DCRM-L] Proposed response on 21.27

Matthew Beacom matthew.beacom at yale.edu
Fri Jul 15 11:45:48 MDT 2005

Hi all,

  At 7/15/2005 01:26 PM, Robert Maxwell wrote:
>On the question of LCRIs for RDA, Barbara Tillett backtracked at the last
>CC:DA meeting, saying that people had misunderstood--what they really
>meant when they said that there would be no LCRIs was that there would no
>longer be any LCRIs for AACR, but that there would indeed be some sort of
>LC interpretations for RDA. I was skeptical of the initial announcement
>(or rumor, or whatever) that there wouldn't be any more LCRIs; it looks as
>though there will be. At least according to the latest pronouncement.
>
>Bob

My understanding is that the Library of Congress will continue to make
decisions (and interpretations) about applying the cataloging rules within
LC.  LC will make those decisions public. The particulars of the difference
between what LC does now for AACR2 and what LC will do for RDA is
unknown.  We'll begin to know as LC begins to respond to the text of RDA
and begins to produce its local decision document. It may be that there is
not much difference really between LCRIs for AACR2 and LC
decisions/interpretations for RDA.  However, there could be significant or
even fundamental differences in approach or purpose. We'll find out.

Matthew  Beacom

Metadata Librarian
Yale University Library
130 Wall Street P.O. Box 208240