[DCRM-L] nonroman signatures: revised instructions

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at yale.edu
Thu Mar 31 10:42:14 MST 2005

The DCRM(B) editors have revised (and significantly simplified) the
instructions for nonroman signatures contained in the delta draft. Here is
what we are proposing for the epsilon draft:

http://www.library.yale.edu/~mtheroux/DCRM/NonromanSignatures.doc

I've also copied the new instructions in the text of this message, below,
though I'm not sure if the formatting will be preserved.

We welcome your comments! Please send them to the list.

On behalf of the editorial team,

Manon Théroux
Authority Control Librarian | Catalog Department
P.O. Box 208240 | Yale University Library
New Haven, CT 06520-8240 | manon.theroux at yale.edu

============================

Proposed text for the Epsilon version of DCRM(B) :

Nonroman Signature Statements

If the gatherings are signed using nonroman characters that cannot be
reproduced using available typographic facilities, ascertain whether the
signing follows a numeric or an alphabetic sequence.

For a numeric sequence, represent the characters using arabic numerals.
Indicate the presence of inferred numbers within the sequence using square
brackets. Make a note to indicate the script used on the gatherings.

Signatures: 1-114  ; signed in Hebrew script using alphabetic numeration
(Editorial comment: Indicates a numeric sequence beginning with [alef] and
ending with [yod alef])

Signatures: [1]2 2-102 ; signed in Hebrew script using alphabetic numeration
(Editorial comment: Indicates a numeric sequence with the first gathering
unsigned and the remaining gatherings signed [beth]-[yod])

For an alphabetic sequence, transliterate the characters using the ALA-LC
Romanization Tables. Use uppercase or lowercase characters according to the
usage of the piece. If the alphabet is one that does not employ case, or if
the case of the characters cannot be determined, use lowercase characters.
Indicate the presence of inferred characters within the sequence using
square brackets. Make a note to indicate the script used on the gatherings.

Signatures: pi1 a-g2 A-B2 ; signed in Greek script
(Editorial comment: Indicates an alphabetic sequence with the first leaf
unsigned, the first three gatherings signed [alpha]-[gamma] in
lowercase,  and the last two gatherings signed [alpha]-[beta] in uppercase)

Signatures: pi2 A-Ë6 [Zh]6 Z6 ; signed in Cyrillic script
(Editorial comment: Indicates an alphabetic sequence with the first and
penultimate  gatherings unsigned and the remaining gatherings signed in
uppercase Cyrillic)