[DCRM-L] Relator terms

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Tue Dec 5 07:21:42 MST 2006

Here at the Boston Athenaeum, we use relator terms for corporate bodies
(publishers, former owners, printers, etc.),  but we enter them as 653's
after producing the record and importing it into our local system. The
decision to do so was made long before my arrival here. I believe, however,
the reason centered on the fact we hold portions of personal libraries (e.g.
Geo. Washington, J.Q. Adams), and we wanted to have separate indexes for
works generated by them and works the formerly owned.

That said, we would certainly welcome any initiative that would prompt OCLC
to allow more latitude in this area (and good luck with that, says the jaded
OCLC cataloger). It's a rare treat to come across a record containing 700's
with relator terms, as it's just a matter of changing the tags once the
record is imported into our system. Also, it can be a big time saver in
determining the correct form of the name, especially works published in
Latin.

Will Evans
Rare Materials Catalog Librarian
Biography & History Bibliographer