[DCRM-L] Appendix G: transcripton of rv

lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Mon Jan 9 14:17:25 MST 2006

Option 3 has the advantage of continuity with our current practice.  The
disadvantage, as Stephen pointed out, is that it lumps the practice in with
errors.  One is not making a correction in this case, one is recording the
characters or phoneme the printer intended.

Adopting option 3 in the current environment requires 3 versions of the
information if the rv is used in a title: a) ... rveysse (i.e. weysse) ...,
b) ... weysse ..., c) ... rvweysse .... Of course this isn't a problem when the
rv is used in a place of publication or statement of responsibility.  Adopting
option 4 would result in 2 versions of the title, perhaps one with a note
saying that the form on the item is rv.

Before making a decision, I would ask how often different states or issues are
distinguished by the rv?  What does the current practice accomplish?  Would it
be easier for the user to see option 4 with a note when deemed necessary by the
cataloger (or mandated by the rules?).  I would lean towards option 4, but I am
no expert on incunables.

Larry Creider