[DCRM-L] Appendix G: transcripton of rv

Tue Jan 10 07:29:52 MST 2006

Thanks very much, Brian. I also wanted to pick up on Lyle Buettner's observation about lz used for "k" in French printing. Our (much experienced) cataloger of rare continental works confirms that he has often seen this substitution, and that it is always in signature statements. He considers it a "k."

Signature statements do not require the same level of transcription as title information; still, I'm wondering if a principle for this sort of situation is evolving: deliberately-turned letters and the use of other characters to create a graphic verisimilitude when the intended letter is obvious can be transcribed as the intended letter. I'm inclined to think of the transcription of apostrophic forms as not falling into this category, but is rather a modernization of archaic forms.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.
Washington, DC 20003
202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu

________________________________

From: dcrm-l-admin at lib.byu.edu on behalf of Hillyard, Brian
Sent: Tue 2006-01-10 05:18
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Appendix G: transcripton of rv

I've taken advantage of the new Zeta version to search all instances of "[i.e." and I feel that because "rv [i.e., w]" would not make any sense to a catalogue user without experience of early German fonts and typesetting or without seeing the original, it is less convincing than any other usage of "[i.e."

Best wishes for 2006

Brian

Dr Brian Hillyard
Rare Book Collections Manager