[DCRM-L] DCRM(S) questions for discussion

Tue Jan 17 08:46:58 MST 2006

The questions for discussion of DCRM(S), prepared by Jane Gillis, are
now posted on the *new* DCRM(S) web page:
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/dcrb/dcrmstext.html

For your convenience, I give them here:

DCRM(S) Questions

What overlapping material do we need?  What should be deleted?  What
should be edited?  Do these work?  What about other modules?

--Objectives and Principles

--Principles of DCRM(B) (now DCRM(S))

--Pre-Cataloging Decisions (revised to reflect serials)

No "Perfect Copy" and no "Bibliographic Variants" in the sense of
DCRM(B)

Numbering

--Are these clear?  For people who have cataloged serials, do these make
sense?

Date of publication

--CONSER calls for only years to be in the date of publication area.
There are good reasons for this-sometimes the only date we have is
actually the coverage date (20-24 November 1784; summer 1955).  One
problem has been what to do with phrases like "Printed in the year".  We
have opted to put them in the Publisher part of the statement (260 $b)

Extent

--There are very few cases when we would need pagination and/or
signatures.  We have kept DCRM(B) information in DCRM(S).  Do we need
it?

--We have removed most of the rules on Signatures, keeping only the very
basic rules and non-Roman.  Is this enough?  We thought that the basic
rules should cover just about any need for signature statements for
serials.

Appendix

--Reprints: there are quite a few differences between cataloging
reprints according to AACR2 and DCRM(S) .  The biggest difference is
what to use as the basis of the description.

--There is no Appendix E.  We have replaced B, C, D from DCR(B) but
there is no Appendix for E.  Should we keep E but leave it blank?

Glossary

--Are there terms we don't need?

--Have we removed anything we should have left in?

--Are the explanations clear enough?

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library