[DCRM-L] DCRB Core

Jain Fletcher jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 1 12:31:54 MST 2006

Yes, Beth hits the nail on the head here. It never occurred to me (until
today) that our discussion of edits to the "DCRB Core" in DCRM(B)'s
appendix was not being considered as part of a larger movement to change
DCRB Core within the PCC structure--but it is beginning to dawn on me that
this might be the case(?)  If we want any changes to be recognized
officially, the changes and supporting rationale will need to go through
the appropriate PCC committee (probably still Standing Cte on Standards). I
have to admit that one of the recognized downsides of turning in our final
report to PCC was that BSC's connection to the "DCRB Core" was then
officially severed.  As expected, none of us--not the original WG nor
BSC--have had any say in subsequent iterations of the standard (for
instance, I believe the choice of merging documents without any link or
reference to the originals was a mistaken one). So, that's just a little
more to think about...		--Jain

--On Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:34 PM -0500 Beth Russell
<russell.363 at osu.edu> wrote:

> "505 isn't required for full records, so why should it be required for
core?"

> That's the real question. And if something has gone wrong at PCC, will
> anything we do to change it in DCRM(B) make any difference?
>
> Beth
>

> ----------------------
> Beth M. Russell
> Associate Professor
> Head, Special Collections Cataloging
> The Ohio State University Libraries
> 1858 Neil Avenue Mall
> Columbus OH 43210-1286
> 614-247-7463
> FAX 614-292-2015
> russell.363 at osu.edu
> ----------------------

Jain Fletcher
Principal Cataloger & Head, Technical Services Division
Department of Special Collections
Young Research Library - UCLA
Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA   90095-1575

v: (310) 794-4096
f: (310) 206-1864
e: jfletchr at library.ucla.edu

           Through all the world there goes one long cry from the heart
           of the artist: Give me leave to do my utmost. --Isak Dinesen