[DCRM-L] Title and Statement of Responsibility Area

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.NMSU.Edu
Fri Oct 6 09:39:12 MDT 2006

In reference to "a)  the qualifications are grammatically inseparable":
Can we please put a definition of "grammatically inseparable" in the
glossary or in a footnote?  I did a search on google for the phrase and
well over half the incidences of "grammatically inseparable" are connected
with rare book cataloging rules.  The other uses are in the context of
non-scholarly discussions of biblical passages, a document put out by the
Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN that refers to serial titles
(AGRIS: Guidelines for the Description of Information Objects in the
International Information System on Agricultural Sciences and Technology),
and this lovely phrase in the foreword to a textbook (whose context I
can't retrieve): "The phasal predicator begin (the first sentence) is
grammatically inseparable from the infinitive of the notional verb fight,
the two lexemes making one ..."

Some instances, such as the one Bob cites from AACR2 1.F7 are clear.
Another instance is that the word "of" is usually construed as being
"inseparable" along with other expressions of the genitive.  Other
situations are less clear.  For example, "by" when used of agency is not
(Book of truth / by Aethel Aardvark), but agency expressed in Latin by "a"
or "ab" is sometimes considered inseparable but more generally not.
Participles such as emendata may or may not be treated as separable from
the word they agree with.  On occasion, it is pretty clear that the choice
of whether or not to interpose ISBD punctuation or MARC subfielding is the
result of page layout rather than considerations of grammatical
separability.  Sometimes the choice is made because the author/and or
printer is thinking in terms of analogues to a vernacular language.

All told, I think we need to sort out grammatically separable and
inseparable for prepositional constructions and those indicated by
agreement of case endings.  If we can't figure this out in time for the
publication of DCRM(B), perhaps Deborah will address the matter in her
manual?

Larry

Laurence S. Creider, Ph.D., M.S.L.S.
Head, General Cataloging Unit