[DCRM-L] Citing the new ESTC

Sat Oct 14 11:17:37 MDT 2006

The numbering system doesn't change between systems, but because the
database is dynamic (except for the fixed editions in CD-ROM or
microfiche), the numbers can themselves change over time. Some records
may be discovered to contain two different issues and split into two,
other records may be conflated, some may be deleted if they're
discovered to be ghosts, and so on. There is also a bit of delay-only a
day, I think-between the work done in Star and its appearance in the
public interface.

To be hyper-accurate and to make sure all our bases are covered, we
would cite the date of the online search, just as we do when citing
online information in authority records. This might be overkill, I don't
know. In any case, I'd encourage you not to do a global change in your
database from ESTC (RLIN) to ESTC (BL).

I'm copying this to Elizabeth Robinson and Barbara Tillett also, since
this is a Standard Citations issue.
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu