[DCRM-L] FW: Proofreading comments

Thu Sep 7 18:47:10 MDT 2006

Forwarding for Barry Hinman.

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry E. Hinman [mailto:bhinman at stanford.edu]
Sent: 07 September 2006 17:01
To: Deborah J. Leslie
Subject: Proofreading comments

I had a particularly free day today, so I jumped the gun on the proof
reading, which is why I am writing directly to you rather than to the
list, since I don't want to foul things up with your plans.

I read appendix G, and in conjunction with that I read the entire text
up to p. 40, since I needed to check the references to G.

I really congratulate you.  I just proof read another document, with
dozens of corrections on each page, and to you I have only 3 things to
signal:
    1) p. 26-- e) at top of page--indented 1 space too many;
    2) p. 31--Alternative rule  Example  shows favourite; or, ...  My
reading of 1.1B1 is that the preceding comma is mandated, so the example

should show:
    favourite;, or, ...
    3) p. 187 2nd word  forme.  This is a niggle.  My Webster's
Collegiate Dictionary, which is the 10th and not the 11th ed., shows
forme as Brit., and refers to form 8.  If indeed you are following
Webster's ...   On the other hand, Glaister, Encyclopedia of the Book,
gives forme only, but then he would.  So you could easily argue that the

accepted form in the world of bibliographers is with the e.

I noticed, too, in section G lots of little discrepancies with the way I

have been doing things, so it is very nice to have these things spelled
out so clearly.  For exampe, now I always do [a]e, since I could clearly

see the e [p. 182]; when we apply this I will do [ae].  Same thing is
true of q[ue], which I have always done, on the same reasoning [p.
183].  Your reasoning, I assume, is that these are really one character
so first they need to be separated and then enclosed in brackets.

I will be reading more next week.

--
Barry E. Hinman
Special Collections Librarian for Cataloging
bhinman at stanford.edu