[DCRM-L] Area 4 comments

Windy Lundy windy.lundy at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 12 10:43:55 MDT 2006

I have only a few comments in addition to the ones noted below:

P. 77, 4B9.  last sentence re: "and date is fictitious"  This sentence
occurs in two other places in Area 4 (4C5 and 4D2.4).  In both places, the
sentence ends with "and date is fictitious or incorrect, apply 4A4."  For
consistency, should 4B9 also read "and date is fictitious or incorrect"?

P. 79, 4C2, next to last line:  suggest a comma preceding "unless the
information"

P. 80, 4C4.1.  "If only the address, sign, or initials of the publisher
appears":  I stumbled over the number of "appears" because "initials" is
plural.  Fowler says (1998 ed., p. 555 in entry under "or") "When the
subject is a set of alternatives each in the singular ... the verb must be
in the singular ... If alternative members differ in number, the nearest
prevails."  I have not consulted another authority on usage that addresses
this issue.

P. 85, 4D2.4.  Last sentence in 1st paragraph:  Is there a reason for the
enclosing parentheses?  The sentence occurs also in 4B9 and 4C5 and in
neither case it is in parentheses.

P. 86-87, 4D2.6.  The editorial comment for the last example occurs on the
same page and not split.

Hope these are helpful,

Windy

****************
M. Winslow Lundy
Assistant Professor
Head of Monographic Cataloging
Cataloging & Metadata Services Department
University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries
184 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309
phone: 303-492-3918
fax: 303-492-0494