[DCRM-L] Proofreading Appendices B& E

Johnson, Elizabeth L. johnson1 at indiana.edu
Fri Sep 22 08:44:03 MDT 2006

Comment on both B & E.

This is a general question about style.  Appendix B uses bullets for
statements after a colon.  See for example B1.1.

Appendix E does not use the same format for these same type of lists.
See for example E1.2.Following this default approach, generally
consider that a new bibliographic record is required whenever the item
being cataloged distinguished itself from other variants by one of more
of the following characteristics:

change in content ...

different setting ...

I think in Appendix B these statements would have been indented with a bullet.

Comments on Appendix B.
If bullets are the chosen method, then in B2.1 the first group needs a bullet.

B2.1 Collections mornally fall into one of three categories:

      * groups of items that come to a library already well organized
by a previous

"Artificial" collections are now called "intentional" collections by
the archival world.  "Formerly called "artificial collections" " was
how they are described in the workbook to SAA workshop "MARC According
to DACS: archival cataloging to the new descriptive standard", p. 56.
There is another use of the term artificial collections on p. 148 in
the bulltet that begins Acquired individually.

B4. bottom of p. 148.  Is there a way to move the header Leader and
directory to the next page?

Control field: 008  06:Type of date.  Are we sure that we can use m?  I
thought the choices for a collection-level value c were either i or k.

520 field: Summary, etc.

In this paragraph, the first sentence is repeated as the fourth sentence.

No further comments on Appendix E.

Cheers,
Elizabeth Johnson