[DCRM-L] FW: Greek signatures

Joseph Ross jross at nd.edu
Wed Dec 19 09:15:43 MST 2007

The best solution for Greek signatures is, of course, to record them in
the Greek script.  One can do that on OCLC if one has a Unicode
character map to copy the letters into the record.  The tool I like to
use is BabelMap, which is available on the web.  (One could also copy it
from a word processor into OCLC.) The Greek character set is a part of
the MARC 8 repertoire and may thus be used in the records.  OCLC just
does not provide an easy method for entering the characters.

One could use the names of the letters, but for consistency sake, I did
not think it advisable.  The names of the letters for Greek are
well-known, and the Hebrew names also to a certain degree.  Church
Slavonic also has names of the letters, but they are not well-known
enough that one would want to use them in recording a signature.  It
also makes a very long, cumbersome signature statement to use the names
of the letters.

As Deborah has pointed out, if you are transliterating the letters, you
must indicate in the signature statement which letters are
transliterations of Greek characters.  "a-g [superscript 8] (in Greek
characters)."

Joseph Ross
University of Notre Dame