[DCRM-L] cum pruilegio

Tue Feb 13 17:26:14 MST 2007

Thanks, Annie, for confirming that I hadn't missed anything. The rules do not, in fact, instruct the cataloger to silently omit privilege statements. In fact, it would be reasonable to consider that privilege statements belonged to the publication area.

I'd prefer that we continue to silently omit them, not because they're unimportant (as my RBS students know, I encourage quoting them in notes and adding 655's for Printing privileges).

For the time being, I am happy to instruct their silent omission, but perhaps we can consider adding "privilege statements" to the list of things to silently omit. When we reprint.

__________________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.
Washington, DC 20003
202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu

________________________________

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu on behalf of Ann W. Copeland
Sent: Tue 2007-02-13 09:13
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] cum pruilegio

Deborah,

  In (B)

1A2.2. Omission of pious invocations, etc. Omit, without using the mark of omission, information found on the title page that constitutes neither title information nor a statement of responsibility. Such information may include pious invocations, quotations, devices, announcements, epigrams, mottoes, prices, etc. (see 0G5.2). Transcribe or describe this kind of information in a note if it is considered important. If such information is a grammatically inseparable part (see 1B1) of one of the elements of the title and statement of responsibility area, however, transcribe it as such. If such information constitutes the only title-like information present in the source, it may be used as a devised title according to the provisions of 1B5.

0G5.2. Information not considered part of any area. If omitting grammatically separable information from the transcription because it is not considered part of any area (pious invocations, etc.; see 1A2.2), do not use the mark of omission. If considered important, give the omitted information in a note.

7A1.2. Notes, by their nature, cannot be enumerated exhaustively, but can be categorized in terms of the areas of description to which they pertain. In addition to notes relating to these areas, there are notes that do not correspond to any area of the formalized areas of description. Occasionally it may be useful to group together notes which refer to more than one area, for instance when they are all based on one source within the work, such as a privilege statement.

Annie