[DCRM-L] Comments please: Subfield $5

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Jan 9 10:35:28 MST 2007

And don't forget that subfield $5 can be used on more 5XX fields than
500. 590 is only equivalent to 500, i.e., it is a general note. But it
is useful (for the same reasons as we like specificity for non-local
information--if for nothing else than for labelling, but also for
precision in searching) to put local information into specific MARC
fields, such as 506 (restrictions on access). $5 is also authorized for
501 (with), though I think most of us continue to use 590 for local
bound with information. I can see potential uses for $5 in other 5XX
notes for which it isn't currently authorized (e.g., suppose I want to
make a note for a bit player in a movie who is locally prominent--it
would be useful for labeling and indexing to put his/her name in the
performer note, 511, and then code it local with $5).

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602