[DCRM-L] Comments please: Subfield $5

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.NMSU.Edu
Tue Jan 9 11:49:31 MST 2007

I agree that the usage should be kept as copy-specific only, but David
Woodruff is right that some copies may have additional material that
should be brought out in subject headings other than 655 headings.  For
example, a book could have manuscript map that would require a 650 or 651
heading.  In such a case the subfield $5 would be appropriate.  If one is
adding subject headings to bring out topics that are locally significant,
I am ambivalent about the use of the subfield $5.  That is the use would
be technically appropriate but confusing.  My general approach is that of
a late friend that "any subject headings are gravy" (he wasn't a librarian
but a scholar of 16-17th century English poetry).  Unless the the subject
heading is totally inappropriate, I would tend to leave it and to tell the
shared catalogers I supervise to leave the heading.
 	Larry Creider