[DCRM-L] Subfield $5 / Several cataloguing questions

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Jan 11 16:03:34 MST 2007

We just had Karen Smith Yoshimura of RLG and Glenn Patton of OCLC here
at BYU today for an RLG/OCLC merger update and learned a bit about their
plans for institutional records. It does appear that in the near future
the OCLC database will become somewhat RLIN-like. The current plan is to
retain the master record with institutional records attached to it. The
institutional records will be searchable on the same basis as the master
records, i.e. just like the records in the RLIN cluster. Institutional
records will be optional (no library will be required to have
institutional records) and will begin with the records of the current
RLG members, whose records after the migration will also continue to be
added as institutional records (if they so desire--this will be optional
on an institution by institution basis). I gather that plans are not yet
in place for allowing current OCLC members who have not been RLG members
to get retrospective institutional records into the database (those of
you who are interested might start lobbying) but I gather as of
Connexion version 2.0, slated for release in July or so, anyone
cataloging IN OCLC (as opposed to adding via FTP or tapeload) will be
able to create institutional records attached to the master record,
which will be visible to everyone else who is interested. So yes, please
continue to include local information in your records!

I also heard today that since the merger UCLA and U of Washington have
joined RLG Programs (the new name of the merged entity). Cheers all
around!

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602