[DCRM-L] Collated & Perfect

Nickeson, Walter wnickeson at library.rochester.edu
Mon Jul 16 07:16:13 MDT 2007

Speaking of collation and OCLC, I have written a macro for the Connexion Client that constructs a leaf and page count from a signature statement in a 500 field. It's called "SignatureCount", and it's available at <http://docushare.lib.rochester.edu/docushare/dsweb/View/Collection-2556>

It will quickly calculate, for example, that

500 ## Signatures: 2A-2E⁸ 2F⁴ ã⁴ a-z⁸ A-L⁸ M¹⁰ 2a-2y⁸ 2Z⁴

is 510 leaves, confirming the count given in the 300 field. (Apologies if the superscripts garble this message.)

It can't handle extremely complex statements, but I've found it useful as a way to verify information.

  Walter F. Nickeson, Catalog Librarian
  Rush Rhees Library
  University of Rochester
  Rochester, NY  14627-0055