[DCRM-L] Update on DCRM(S)

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 21 11:18:23 MST 2007

Greetings,

I want to take this opportunity to update you all on the status of
Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Serials) (DCRM(S)). After the
October close reading that many of you participated in, the editors (Jane
Gillis, Ann Copeland, Stephen Skuce, Randy Brandt) met for several days
earlier this month in Washington, D.C. We were joined in our meetings by
DCRM(B) editors Deborah Leslie and Manon Theroux, and by Erin Blake, lead
editor of the newly-commissioned DCRM(G) (Graphics ... more about that at
Midwinter), who was there to simply observe the editorial process, but
managed to contribute to it in spite of herself. One of the major
developments was to align the DCRM(S) text more closely with the new CONSER
Standard Record.

The editors also want to thank all of you who volunteered to participate in
the close reading. We were extremely impressed with the quality and detail
of the comments that we received. We want to assure all of you that your
comments were given very careful consideration and that many of them
resulted in changes to the text. Some changes were major and some were
minor, but they all contributed to what we hope will be a much better text.

Three of the readers deserve special thanks: Joe Springer, Susan Karpuk,
and Susan Sundquist all volunteered to read and comment on the entire text.
Thank you!

Based on the November meetings, the deadline for finishing the text has
been extended to February 2008. This will allow for one more face-to-face
editorial meeting in Philadelphia, at which point we are confident that the
text will be in final form.

As we make this final push towards Midwinter, we may be soliciting input,
via this list, on specific points. We especially would like to hear from
those of you with serials experience, but will welcome input from anyone.
So, please don't be shy.

Happy holidays.

Randal Brandt
Principal Cataloger