[DCRM-L] Correction Re: Cataloging unpublished facsimiles (fwd)

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.NMSU.Edu
Mon Oct 1 13:42:28 MDT 2007

Folks,
For clarity's sake, please insert the words "AACR2 and LCRI" before the
word "options" at the beginning of the third sentence of the second
paragraph of my message.  Sorry.

Larry

Laurence S. Creider
Head, General Cataloging Unit &
Special Collections Librarian
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM  88003
Work: 505-646-4707, 505-646-7227
Fax: 505-646-7477
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:37:20 -0600 (MDT)
From: Laurence Creider <lcreider at lib.NMSU.Edu>
To: Deborah J. Leslie <DJLeslie at FOLGER.edu>
Cc: DCRM Revision Group List <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Cataloging unpublished facsimiles

Deborah,
What first occurs to you is what AACR2 actually says.  The practice of
cataloging the original and then adding a GMD when applicable and a 533 note is
United States practice enshirined in an early LCRI.  J. McRee Elrod decries our
deviance every change he gets.  While this has its advantages for your purpose,
adopting this would make it harder to put a record for the reproduction on the
record for the original.

I think that what you are really asking for is permission to do something
that does not follow current national standards.  The Folger already does
that with separate records for its copies of Shakespeare's First Folios,
IIRC, and I think does so rightly.  The AACR2 and LCRI options for
signaling the user that what they are looking at is an on-demand
reproduction are the GMD and a 533 note.  After all, it is your
institution's catalog and you probably need to violate national policies
on occasion to make your collection useful to your patrons.  The tricky
parts are documenting these, keeping knowledge of them current among your
staff, and rethinking them as the technological framework changes.

What you can do is to fudge the order of the Reproduction note, which is no big
deal to most of us, or you can use a locally developed GMD, like [reproduction]
or [facsimile]. You can also make sure that your default display includes the
reproduction notes.  As an additional signal, you can add something to the call
number, such as a location (like Microfiche) or a letter to the end of the call
number (many libraries use an "a" at the end of the date in LCC).  In any case,
please make these changes in your own catalog and not in any OCLC master record
that you input (I just add this because you are relatively new to OCLC).

I hope this helps.

lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu