[DCRM-L] questions about use of 541 field

Alison Bridger aebridger at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 13:12:41 MDT 2007

Manon,

You may want to see how your OPAC displays the 541 field, as the OPAC here automatically displays the fields in alphabetical order rather then the order entered. Not that it stops me from entering it in correctly, as in the examples in  emails below.

I would only add the call number to the $3 if the catalog record covers more than one call number. I usually do not use this field as many times the $3 would be too long. Also if the source of acquisition is usually from the same person(s) or dealer over a period of years I just update the $d indicating the different years.

Alison Bridger
Manuscripts Cataloger
The Bancroft Library
University of California

"Hartman, Laura A. (NIH/NLM) [E]" <laurah at mail.nlm.nih.gov> wrote:     Manon,

 NLM constructs its 541 fields using the $3 and placing the  $c before the $a.  We also follow the practice shown in the MARC  documentation of separating the subfields with semi-colons.  All  of our notes are distributed to OCLC, so we add a $5 as well.

 Example:

 541 $3 Copy 2; $c Gift; $a National Center for Homeopathy;  $d 2007. $5 DNLM

 Best regards,
 Laura

 Laura Hartman
 Rare Book Cataloguer