[DCRM-L] DNB

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 19:12:36 MDT 2007

I think I've usually done it as:

670 Oxford DNB, [date]

Inclusion of the date searched should be enough to clue people in to the
fact that it's an online resource. But it wouldn't be wrong to include "via
WWW" or some such thing. I don't usually add the word "online" to a citation
unless the resource actually has those words in its title. If I did add it,
I'd probably formulate it as a qualifier in parentheses. Like Bob, I'm also
tending more and more to just spell out titles rather than use acronyms,
just in case others aren't familiar with the resource. I'd definitely
include the word "Oxford" when citing either the latest print version or the
online version, since there was a title change.

-Manon

On 9/20/07, Robert Maxwell <robert_maxwell at byu.edu> wrote:

>  While it's true that the participants manual says what Richard says it
> does, I think this was more intended as guidance for websites (e.g. home
> pages, etc.) and not databases, even though databases may reside on the web.
> For example, we don't write
>

> 670  OCLC, via WWW, Sept. 20, 2007 …
>

> even though we may well be searching OCLC via the web and certainly at
> least are searching via the Internet even if we're going in through the
> Connexion client. Instead we simply write
>

> 670  OCLC, Sept. 20, 2007
>

> Similarly the NACO manual instructs us to cite the LC catalog
>

> 670   LC database, Sept. 20, 2007 …
>

> I do see that one of the examples cited in the "WWW" section of the NACO
> manual is FamilySearch, which is a database. Nevertheless, in my own NACO
> work I am inclined to cite a database without the "via WWW" or "WWW site"
> phrasing, particularly if the database's name includes the word "online."
> (For this reason I would cite FamilySearch as shown in the Manual––it
> doesn't include the word "online") I think the word "online" indicates it's
> a remote access database and the actual method (WWW, direct connection,
> etc.) of getting to it is not important. I would probably cite the database
> Deborah is asking about as
>

> 670  DNB online, Sept. 20, 2007 …
>

> Actually, now I think about it, I DID cite it last week. I think I didn't
> abbreviate it that far––I can't find the record now, but I think this was
> how I cited it:
>

> 670  Dict. of nat. biog. online, Sept. 15, 2007 …
>

> I believe I did this because although *we* all know what DNB stands for,
> probably most users of the authority file don't. I've actually found in my
> NACO training that very few catalogers know what some of the mysterious
> acronyms we use mean. I asked last time I did training, when we had a record
> before us with
>

> 670 WW in Am …
>

> on it, a pretty common abbreviation in the authority file, if anyone knew
> what it meant and NOT ONE knew it meant "Who's who in America". So I think
> we often abbreviate too much in these fields.
>

> I also remind one and all that NO wordings or formulas are prescribed by
> PCC for 670––the NACO manual is presented as guidance, not rules. Trainers
> are reminded to repeat this almost as a mantra when training.  The most
> important thing is clarity. There is also no desire on the part of PCC that
> I know of for consistency from record to record, so I don't think we
> necessarily need to come up with a consensus on how to cite any given work
> or database. But it is certainly worthwhile to discuss possibilities and
> share suggestions.
>

> Bob
>

> Robert L. Maxwell
> Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
> Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
> 6728 Harold B. Lee Library
> Brigham Young University
> Provo, UT 84602
> [...]