[DCRM-L] Dated Bindings - was Re: Recipes in RBGENR

Rachel D'Agostino rdagostino at librarycompany.org
Tue Apr 29 13:34:51 MDT 2008

Speaking as someone with much more familiarity with 19th century
bindings than with earlier ones, what is meant by "initials" in this
conversation?  Are these initials identifying the binder, in which case
I assume we would call them Signed bindings?  Or are they identifying
the owner, in which case, why stop at initials?  I see many 19th century
bindings with a gilt supra libris and have only been using Bindings
(Provenance) for these.  I have often lamented the absence of an
appropriate term in the Binding Terms thesaurus.

Rachel

Rachel D'Agostino
Rare Book Cataloger
The Library Company of Philadelphia