[DCRM-L] Help with illustration term

Auyong, Dorothy dauyong at huntington.org
Thu Jul 10 17:37:56 MDT 2008

We need help describing what are, for want of a better term, "lift the
flap" type illustrations in  a 1841 Obstetrics atlas.  In this case, the
illustrations are generally of various "fetus in womb" situations, and
the reader lifts one or more flaps to see the progression of the image.

We've run across this lacunae in the terminology before with "pop-up"
type illustrations in a 16th century mathematical work they weren't
volvelles, but illustrations or tables that changed as you pulled on
flaps.  "Pop-up books" exists in AAT as a term for a work consisting
primarily of these interactive illustrations, but there's no terminology
for the individual types of illustrations themselves.

I appeal to the collective wisdom of the list for help!

Dorothy Auyong

Principal Rare Book Cataloger

Huntington Library

dauyong at huntington.org