[DCRM-L] Recipes in RBGENR

Fri May 2 10:58:09 MDT 2008

Thanks, Nina and Bob. This has put me in a pickle because I've been so
vocal about not mixing up subject and form/genre terms, although I
realize that a cookbook may be said to be about "cookery," and medical
formularies may be said to be about medicine. Because of the nature of
manuscripts and the needs of their users (that is, very few are known
item searches for their texts), we are using genre terms quite heavily.
A satisfactory solution to this predicament would give us form terms to
use.

I wonder if that cluster of terms might be reconsidered in Genre Terms
when the team gets around to doing thorough evaluations? A major change
would be tricky, of course. A search on "cookbooks" as a genre/form term
in OCLC reveals about 250 book records, while "medical formularies"
brings up a mere 17.

-----Original Message-----
From: nina at supermodern.com [mailto:nina at supermodern.com]
Sent: Friday, 02 May, 2008 12:39
To: Deborah J. Leslie
Cc: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Recipes in RBGENR

I was out of town the past couple of days. Please excuse the delay in
replying.

Looking at the variety of responses so far, I'd have to agree with Bob
Maxwell, but I would suggest the paired approach if necessary:

650 _0 Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions

650 _0 Cookery, English [or France, etc., or simply "Cookery"]--Early
works to 1800

The LCSH scope note for Recipes reads, "Here are entered general recipe
books..." so it can't be used for individual recipes found within a
manuscript.

I think that is what I would do.

Nina