[DCRM-L] Update on BSC

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 2 15:51:15 MDT 2008

Dear Bibliographic Standards Committee members and friends,

Happy October!

I wanted to give you all an update on various activities of the BSC
since our meeting at ALA in Anaheim. As you will see, the committee has
been busy. But, there are still many things to be done and many
opportunities for you to contribute. Read on ...

1) DCRM(S)

The most exciting news is that DCRM(S) is in press! (And, even as I
write this, the proofs are waiting for me at home. They were delivered
today from the Library of Congress. I can't wait to see them. But, now
I've got a choice to make: read DCRM(S) or watch the VP debate?) We are
on target for publication in November. It's been a long strange trip,
and I want to profusely thank my co-editors again for all of their hard
work and collegiality: Jane Gillis, Annie Copeland, Stephen Skuce, and
Juliet McLaren. You guys rock!

But, a DCRM editor's work is never done and the DCRM(S) team is hard at
work on two follow-up projects. They are working on developing an
application guide, with examples, and a workshop to be presented at the
RBMS preconference in Charlottesville. The application guide work is
being conducted via a wiki. The wiki isn't quite ready for prime time
yet, so it has not been made public. When it is, we will link to it via
the DCRM(S) page on the Bib Standards website.

2) DCRM(C)

As the first step in the DCRM(C) process, I want to announce that Seanna
Tsung has been appointed as a BSC member for 2008-2010. In the coming
weeks, Seanna and I will be working on appointing the rest of the
DCRM(C) editorial team, to be announced at ALA Midwinter in Denver.
Welcome, Seanna!

3) Revision of Standard Citation Forms (SCF)

A working group has been formed to continue work on the revision of
/Standard Citation Forms for Rare Book Cataloging/. Elizabeth Robinson
is leading the team, whose members include Marcia Barrett, Jane
Carpenter, Jason Kovari, Ann Myers, and Phyllis C. Payne. The group is
performing initial work on checking the citations to be changed and
determining the AACR2 form of the citation. Early discussions on this
revision also revealed the desirability of having a subfield in the 510
for a URL. John Attig will be submitting a proposal for this to MARBI.

4) Examples to Accompany DCRM(B) and DCRM(S)

Eduardo Tenenbaum and Nina Schneider have agreed to co-chair a BSC task
group to work on developing examples for both DCRM(B) and DCRM(S). The
Rare Materials Cataloging Task Group of AALL is still interested in
collaborating with BSC. Additional volunteers are needed for this
project, so please let me know if you are interested in participating.

5) Program Development

As I mentioned earlier, a workshop on DCRM(S) is in the works. But, BSC
still needs to develop a seminar for 2009. I have asked David Faulds to
lead this effort. Several good ideas for seminars were mentioned at ALA.
If you've got other ideas, or would like to work with David, please let
me know.

6) RDA draft

According to the JSC website, the full draft of RDA is still scheduled
to be released this month. I would like to start putting a team together
to review the document on behalf of the BSC. If you would like to join
the effort, please let me know.

The above list of BSC activities is not exhaustive. The controlled
vocabularies team and the editorial teams for the other DCRM components
in progress are continuing their work. In fact, the DCRM(MSS) team is
meeting this week in Washington, DC for an intensive round of editing.
But, I wanted to at least share the highlights.

As you all can see, there is a need for volunteers on several projects.
Opportunities are available for committee members and non-committee
members alike. If you are interested in any of them, or have any
questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Randal Brandt
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee

--
Randal Brandt
rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without
remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.