[DCRM-L] ESTC and the revision of SCF

Hillyard, Brian b.hillyard at nls.uk
Tue Sep 9 10:25:26 MDT 2008

I'm not in favour of expanding ESTC.

Best wishes

Brian
Dr Brian Hillyard
Rare Book Collections Manager
National Library of Scotland
George IV Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1EW
E-mail: b.hillyard at nls.uk
Direct dial: +44 (0)131 623 3889
Fax: +44 (0)131 623 3888

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Randal Brandt
Sent: 09 September 2008 16:46
To: DCRM-L
Subject: [DCRM-L] ESTC and the revision of SCF

As those of you who follow the work of the RBMS Bibliographic Standards
Committee already know, a revision of _Standard Citation Forms for Rare
Book Cataloging_ (SCF) is underway (please see the agenda and draft
minutes from the Bib Standards meeting held in Anaheim in June 2008 for
more information:
http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/conference-docs/
index.html)

One of the key principles of the revision is to make citations used in
bibliographic records (in MARC tag 510) more understandable to
researchers (and, by extension, other catalogers). In order to do that,
citations will be based, as much as possible, on the AACR2 entries for
the works being cited. Current single-name or single-word citations will

be expanded.

However, at the Anaheim meeting, a lively discussion took place over the

citation for the ESTC. The room was basically split over what to do
about it. Many favored leaving it alone; "ESTC" is so widely known that
the existing citation is sufficient. Others favored following the new,
AACR2-based principle and expanding the citation to "English short title

catalogue."

At the meeting, it was decided to take the ESTC debate to this list and
see what the wider rare materials cataloging community thought about it.

I'll get the discussion rolling by stating my own opinion.

I am in the camp that believes that "ESTC" is OK as it is. The acronym
is sufficiently well-known and does not need to be spelled out.
Researchers and catalogers alike all know what it means. More
importantly, a title keyword search on "ESTC" in OCLC WorldCat retrieves

the bibliographic record for the resource.

What do the rest of you think?

Randal Brandt
Chair, ACRL/RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee

--
__________________________
Randal Brandt
rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without
remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.

Visit the National Library of Scotland online at www.nls.uk

CELEBRATING 500 YEARS OF SCOTTISH PRINTING 1508-2008
http://www.500yearsofprinting.org

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the ICT Helpdesk on
+44 131 623 3700 or ict at nls.uk and delete this e-mail.  The
statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Library of
Scotland.  The National Library of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity.  Scottish Charity No. SC011086.  This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998
and Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 and has been
scanned by MessageLabs.