[DCRM-L] ESTC and the revision of SCF

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Wed Sep 10 12:05:46 MDT 2008

These particular parenthetical additions to the spelled-out forms are
meant to provide confirmation that the spelled-out form does in fact
correspond to a well-known initialism that will frequently be
encountered by itself--not unlike RES, PBSA, SB, and other such journal
abbreviations that function as shibboleths to the uninitiated. They are
also self-explanatory: to a reasonably intelligent user of bibliographic
records it's pretty obvious that "ESTC" must be a short form used as an
alternate designation. It's rather like incorporating information from
an "abbreviated references" section in a book, in a context of a
database record where a link out may be problematic, depending on what
ancillary utilities may or may not be available.

I imagine citations in this format might be a bit puzzling in other
cases, e.g.

510 4  Adams, H.M.  Catalogue of books printed on the continent of
Europe, 1501-1600, in Cambridge libraries (Adams), $c ... Or maybe ...
("Adams")

Which might better be (in the spirit of Elizabeth's suggestion)

510 4  Adams (Adams, H.M.  Catalogue of books printed on the continent
of Europe, 1501-1600, in Cambridge libraries)

[By the way, better perhaps than the forms I borrowed from the websites,
would be

ESTC (English short title catalogue)
ISTC (Incunabula short-title catalogue)

That "ISTC (RLIN)" and "ISTC (BLAISE)" business exemplifies the problem
with a resource available to the public only in printed form (i.e. SCF),
since both(?) are obsolete and neither made much sense to normal people.
On the other hand, I hope Donald Farren is at least sympathetic with
catalogers' need to include data about their data *somewhere*, so that
other catalogers might have a clue about information sources, etc.]

This project isn't going to be easy, and I really DO wish the 510 could
toggle between expanded and condensed forms--perhaps by way of an added
subfield, say $e, for "expanded citation form". (How many years would it
take to talk the average vendor into making proper use of that? How many
years before "average vendor" makes no sense?)

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU