[DCRM-L] Signatures question

Alisa Ellingson alisa_ellingson at byu.edu
Thu Sep 11 16:09:43 MDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm a fairly new cataloger, and this is my first post to the list.  I never post to these lists because I haven't got all the "cataloger lingo" down, so I hope you'll forgive my inexperience if I say something wrong!  I am cataloging a 19th-century Italian publication with some unusual numbering on the signatures.  It starts with two unsigned leaves, then the first numbered signature says 1* and has four leaves.  Next comes signature 2 with two leaves, then 2* with four leaves, then 3* with two leaves, then 3 with four leaves, and so on and so forth until 10, which has four leaves.  I hope that makes sense.  Basically, it looks like this:

[1]2 1*4 22 2*4 32 3*4 42 4*4 52 5*4 62 6*4 72 7*4 82 8*4 92 9*4 104

I imagine there is a better way to do that, but I don't know how.  It is in a modern pamphlet binding, which is too tight to see the stitching.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alisa Ellingson
Special Collections Cataloger
Brigham Young University