[DCRM-L] Cataloging known forgeries

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Aug 19 14:52:16 MDT 2009

What about the genre/form term "Forgeries" from printing & publishing? That seems clearer than "false association copies".

I suppose it depends on what your group of "forgeries" consists of. Are they forgeries in the sense that the work is attributed to someone who didn't actually write it? This sort of thing happened routinely in the ancient world, but I wouldn't call that a forgery. Or are they forgeries in the sense that somebody is trying to pass off something he just printed in his basement as a 1st edition Steinbeck?

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Metadata Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568