[DCRM-L] Folio format question

silvanan at mptek.net silvanan at mptek.net
Tue Dec 1 15:44:49 MST 2009

hi Deborah,
I already sent the book on to preservation. It was pretty narrow
compared to height, did
not not look like a quarto at all. But I believe it is. I got this
response from exlibris:

Double-size sheets of paper were sometimes cut in half for printing,
since
the old hand presses were not sufficiently powerful for such a large
surface. In Principles of Bibliographical Description, at p. 194, Bowers
terms the form folio-form quarto, the principle being that the format is
determined by the number of leaves per sheet, regardless of how imposed
or
printed.

Michael Wasserman
Nostre Livers - Antiquarian and Scholarly Law Books

I read up on it and it totally fits the bill.
It just feels so strange describing it a quarto!

-Silvana