[DCRM-L] Folio format question

John Lancaster jlancaster at amherst.edu
Tue Dec 1 17:33:16 MST 2009

The two most useful sources for the discussion of size (for early books) and format (for all books) are:

Paul Needham, "Res papirea: sizes and formats of the late medieval book", pp. [123]-145 in "Rationalisierung der Buchherstellung im Mittlealter und in der frühen Neuzeit: Ergebnisse eines buchgeschichtlichen Seminars Wolfenbüttel 12.-14. November 1990" (Marburg an der Lahn: Institut für Historische Hilfswissenschaften, 1994) [Elementa diplomatica 2]

G. Thomas Tanselle, "The concept of format," pp. 67-116 in "Studies in Bibliography" 53 (2000).

Needham lists the four standard paper sizes (and mentions a few other much rarer sizes) that were stable "well into the sixteenth century" and surely still in 1502, of which the one that might provide a 4to on half sheets is Imperial (sheet size 49 x 74 cm; half-sheet size 37 x 49 cm; a quarto on half sheets would thus be no larger than 37 x 24.5 cm.).

Tanselle provides his usual thorough historical and logical analysis of the uses and meaning of format; with reference to the issue under consideration here, the most relevant aspect of his discussion is that he demonstrates that the original size of the sheet can't be (pace Greg and Bowers) the defining factor (in part because it can't always be determined - for instance, if a double mold was used, did it produce two sheets with chain lines turned from the usual orientation, i.e. with a central cross bar; or did it produce a single double-size sheet, i.e. with no central cross bar?).

Rather the size of the sheet the printer used to produce the edition (or portion of an edition) in question, in relation to the imposition, is the basis of definition.  [This is much too condensed; one really needs to read the article.  Easily done, as SB is available on-line, free, at http://etext.virginia.edu/bsuva/sb/]

Needham's article is less readily available, but there are a few dozen holding libraries in the U.S., so interlibrary loan, either of the volume or of a copy of the article, should be possible for most of us.

Many more references, for these and other topics, are to be found in Tanselle's "Introduction to Bibliography" syllabus, available on-line, free, thanks to Tanselle and the Rare Book School:  http://www.rarebookschool.org/tanselle/syl-B-complete.090302.pdf

--
John Lancaster (jlancaster at amherst.edu)
P.O. Box 775