[DCRM-L] Signature question

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Thu Feb 5 15:33:18 MST 2009

Hi everybody!

I'm cataloging one volume (of many) of Voltaire's complete works. In
this particular volume (12mo), the signatures are as follows:

pi1  A [superscript 4] (-A4)    B-H [superscript 12]    I-B [superscript
8]    [superscript 2]B-[superscript 2]D [superscript 12]    [superscript
2]E [superscript 2]

That gathering of 8 leaves in the middle is actually signed "I-B"

Since this is very confusing on first glance, is there a proper way to
indicate in the collation statement that the gathering of 8 is signed
"I-B" and not make it seem that the gatherings are signed: I, H, G, F,
E, D, C, B ?

The closest thing I could find in Bowers was: pi1  A [superscript 4]
(-A4)    B-H [superscript 12]    (I-B) [superscript 8]    [superscript
2]B-[superscript 2]D [superscript 12]    [superscript 2]E [superscript
2]

That is, gathering "I-B" within parenthesis.

Thanks!

+-------
Nina Schneider
Head Cataloger