[DCRM-L] Genre Terms query: blank forms

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Feb 6 13:34:01 MST 2009

Presumably the genre/form term applies to the form as it existed before it was filled out. If I were cataloging such a form I would feel comfortable using this term even though the one I was cataloging happened to have been written on (i.e. is no longer blank), just as I am comfortable describing a book in my catalog record as though it was pristine even though it's been written on. What happens to it after it gets published would be local information, wouldn't it?

I do think the AAT scope note is poorly written. I'd suggest instead something like

Forms with blank spaces intended to be filled with information by users of the form.

I think "Forms whose spaces provided for information have not been filled" makes no sense grammatically or otherwise.

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Metadata Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568