[DCRM-L] Fwd: Re: Genre Terms query: blank forms

Tue Feb 10 07:24:49 MST 2009

Thanks to Susan and to David; this is a good revision.

__________________
Deborah J. Leslie
djleslie at folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Susan Sundquist
Sent: Monday, 09 February, 2009 13.52
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: [DCRM-L] Fwd: Re: Genre Terms query: blank forms

hi all,
I passed on some of the discussion regarding "blank forms" to the AAT
folks here at the GRI.  Patricia Harpring asked me to post this reply to
the list for her.

Susan Sundquist, Serials Cataloger
Research Library, Getty Research Institute

pharpring at getty.edu

The discussion of "blank forms" has been very interesting. We always
appreciate feedback from the user community. Based on your comments,
we've done additional research and have rewritten Scope Notes for a few
terms, which surprisingly have not received comment since they were
created in the 1980s. You will see the revised records online when we
next refresh our Web data in early March. I hope the meaning and
intended usage of these terms is now clearer. If anyone would like to
become a contributor to the AAT, please write to vocab at getty.edu to
receive a login for our online contribution form.

forms (documents)
SN: General term referring to formulary documents having an established
arrangement of different parts and often a fixed order of words. Forms
are used for acquiring particular information or for presenting
particular information in a prescribed sequence and format. Forms may be
handwritten, printed, typed, or online. Forms for acquiring information
typically have titles for each type of data accompanied by blank spaces
or lines, check boxes, pull-down lists, data entry fields, or other
methods to prompt for the insertion of the requested information for
each data type; they may also include instructions for how to fill out
the form. Forms that present information do so in a standardized
sequence and format, typically with a sequence of titles naming the
types of data followed by the values of information related to that type
of data.

blank forms
SN: Forms, which are formulary documents that arrange particular
information in a prescribed sequence and format, that are created with
blank spaces, lines, boxes, data entry fields, or other means to prompt
users of the form to fill in the particular information. Blank forms may
be handwritten, printed, typed, or online. When indexing, this term may
be used for such forms, whether or not they have been filled in by a
user of the form.

A new RT for blank forms
templates (documents)
SN: Master documents containing a standard or preset design, layout,
format, and sometimes style, but lacking some or most content. Templates
are intended to be used for creating content according to a prescribed
and repeatable formula in electronic or paper media. Examples of the use
of templates are to create form letters, pages in printed media, and
HTML pages on a Web site.