[DCRM-L] Shelf list card catalog.

Margaret Nichols mnr1 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 2 11:46:09 MDT 2009

At Cornell we maintain a paper shelf list (in special collections
only, not in the rest of the library), for all the reasons that
others have given. We have been through several successive ILSes, and
sometimes in the transition from one to another some bits of
information (such as which collection the book is shelved in) fall
off of the catalog records, so the supposedly "redundant" paper
backup has often saved our necks. If we could figure out a
convenient, automated way to continue to print shelf list cards for
all the books we catalog, we'd do it.

Margaret Nichols

At 12:18 PM 6/2/2009, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Here at Harvard Law School Library we still maintain a shelf list, too,
>for similar reasons.
>
>But also, the shortcomings of retrospective conversion have made it
>critical to keep the shelf list. For example, copy specific info from
>the backs of cards, such as "Bound with"  often didn't make it to the
>online catalog records. And when successive editions were listed as
>"Same" on the old card, they were often ignored in recon. So the shelf
>list is still the best record we have of the library's pre-recon
>holdings.
>
>Mary
>
>Mary Person
>Rare Books Cataloger