[DCRM-L] use of SD early works under SH Jesus Christ

Kate Moriarty moriarks at slu.edu
Tue Mar 10 10:24:24 MDT 2009

This is very helpful. The same instructions for personal names applies to
corporate names and we've had several discussions at SLU about the use of
"$v Early works to 1800" with corporate headings that also have a $x, for
instance, Catholic Church $x Government or Catholic Church $x Doctrines.
Some of the catalogers have been leaving out the "$v Early works to 1800" in
OCLC but inserting it in our local system. OCLC practice varies. It makes
sense to me, however, that the SH with a $x would then be seen as a unit and
could be considered topical, at which point "$v Early works to 1800" would
be authorized. It's a case of cataloger's judgment but we would be grateful
to hear how others proceed.

-Kate

--
Kate S. Moriarty, MSW, MLS  |  Rare Book Catalog Librarian  |  Pius XII
Memorial Library  |