[DCRM-L] question regarding date

Tue Mar 24 12:39:04 MDT 2009

Very interesting, Lyle. Our continental cataloger had not seen that
before, either. Looking at it, it becomes a little clearer that it's
meant to be 5 100's = 500

DCRMB 0G9 says to transcribe superscript letters on the baseline, unless
the meaning would be affected as in a mathematical formula. One can
certainly argue that vc is a mathematical formula, and since a
superscript c is not part of our character set, it should be transcribed
as you have:

Mv[superscript c]xxj.

On the other hand, it's not at all clear to me that verbally describing
the superscript makes the meaning any clearer. I think I would
transcribe the 'c' baseline, and then make a note. I.e.,

260 Mvcxxj [1521]

500 The 'c' in the imprint is superscript, indicating multiplication:
5(100) = 500 {or something like that}