[DCRM-L] How should a rebus be transcribed?

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 08:00:18 MDT 2009

Erin,

Using square brackets and avoiding the "rebus for" construction is
also closest to the instructions in LCRI 1.0E under "Signs and
Symbols." Quoting selectively:

4)  Substitute in the language of the context the word, phrase, etc.,
that is the obvious spoken/written equivalent (if unknown in the
language of the context, use English); bracket the interpolated
equivalent.  If the element in the source is not preceded or followed
by a space, in general precede or follow the bracketed interpolation
by a space unless the preceding or following character in the source
is itself also a separator or unless the use of a space would create
an unintended result for searching.

transcription:  245 10 $a I [love] a piano
suggested note: 500 ## $a On t.p. "[love]" appears as a heart

transcription:  245 12 $a A study of the [ankh]
suggested note: 500 ## $a On t.p. "[ankh]" appears as the ankh symbol

transcription:  245 10 $a Poe[try] and free verse
(The interpolation is not preceded by a space because that would
create two words for searching (brackets are not separators))
suggested note: 500 ## $a On t.p. "[try]" appears as an illustration
in the form of a tree

[Note that these examples use "[love]" not "[heart]" and "[try]" not

-Manon

--
Manon Théroux
Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services