[DCRM-L] (no subject)

Rettberg, Dan drettberg at huc.edu
Tue May 19 13:03:57 MDT 2009

Dear Colleagues-

Here's a problem I have occasionally encountered, but can't remember
doing so in a cataloging context. I have a Hebrew book with information
supplied in the imprint as follows:

K[emo] she-n[idpas] meaning "just as printed" in very small type,
followed by "Be-Brodi" meaning "In Brody" in large and heavy type, as
though this were the correct imprint. Immediately following this are the
names of the printers and the year of printing according to the "anno
mundi" Jewish calendar. Below that is a decorative dividing line
followed by the title of the book, the name of the printing house and
the correct place of printing in Cyrillic script, followed by the date
of printing according to the Gregorian calendar and in so called Arabic
numerals.

In the light of DCRM(B) rule 4B9, one could record the place of printing
in the 260 field as Be-Brodi followed by [i.e. Prague], the correct
place of printing in its modern English form. However, technically,
Be-Brodi is not a ficticious or incorrect place of printing because it
is proceeded by the phrase "just as printed (in)". Does anyone have any
suggestions as to how to handle this problem correctly?

If it has any bearing on the problem, I suspect the printer did this so
that the unsuspecting buyer might in fact think the book had been
printed in Brody.

Thanks,

Dan Rettberg

Rare Book and Manuscript Bibliographer

Klau Library

Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion

3101 Clifton Avenue

Cincinnati, OH45220-2488

drettberg at huc.edu