[DCRM-L] Question: Local notes in OCLC master records

Dooley,Jackie dooleyj at oclc.org
Mon Nov 16 13:02:07 MST 2009

First, realize that I'm in OCLC's Research division and so not remotely
in a position to speak authoritatively about most aspects of WorldCat
Local or any other catalog product or service. So I'm speaking from my
own sense of things, not in any "official" or particularly knowledgeable
capacity.

About all I can say is that incorporating the IRs was a major endeavor
on OCLC's part because the RLIN record paradigm was so completely
different from OCLC's master record concept-and I would hope any of us
can imagine what such a core structural difference would mean for any
major software environment such as WorldCat. As for making IRs available
for free ... as a non-profit cooperative to which it's essential to keep
prices as reasonable as possible, I'm assuming that such an extension
was deemed not to be cost effective.

Jackie