[DCRM-L] BIBCO Standard Record

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Oct 14 19:03:10 MDT 2009

As most of you know, the BIBCO standard record has now been approved (see message and link below).  One of my catalogers points out that this seems to blast out of the water DCRM(B) Core, since core is now obsolete. The main problem with this is that in DCRM(B) Core 050 was not required; this was the main reason we used the core here. 050 is required in the new BIBCO Standard Record. I know many of us commented on this specific issue to the PCC Policy Committee, but our comments appear to have fallen on deaf ears. Is anyone involved in this standard on DCRM-L? If so, could you comment?

Would the chair of Bibliographic Standards care to request clarification and/or protest? This change will greatly diminish our BYU PCC contributions in areas where we use idiosyncratic call number schemes and do not want to take the time to create full blown LC call numbers for 050 (e.g. series of pamphlets). (Until we get clarification on this issue we intend to continue to code DCRM(B) PCC records without 050 as core.)

These are the members of the committee that created the BIBCO Standard Record policy:

Members: Magda El-Sherbini, Ohio State University, Rebecca Malek-Wiley, Tulane University, Caroline Miller, University of California, Los Angeles, Louise Ratliff, University of California, Los Angeles, Carolyn Sturtevant, Coop, Library of Congress

Iris Wolley, Columbia University (coordinator)
Liaisons: Joe Kiegel, Standing Committee on Standards, University of Washington, Rebecca Lubas, Standing Committee on Automation, University of New Mexico, Bob Wolverton, Standing Committee on Training, Mississippi State University

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602